The Three Branches of National Psoriasis Foundation Advocacy
The National Psoriasis Foundation works to influence policy and make changes that ensure affordable access to care for people with psoriatic diseases, and fights for a cure for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
The federal government oversees public health, regulation of treatments, and programs like Medicare. Your members of Congress play a key role:
- By setting rules for out-of-pocket costs on treatments.
- By adopting legislation that determines how much the federal government invests in psoriatic disease research.
- Maintaining federally funded research at the National Institutes of Health.
- Urging Congress to support the implementation of the first public health agenda for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Treatments for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis are improving but are often too expensive! Urge your members of Congress to support the Patients’ Access to Treatment Act (PATA) and the Part D Beneficiary Appeals Fairness Act. Both bills would help curb high out-of-pocket costs.
Your governor, state legislators and insurance commissioner influence health coverage, prescriptions and Medicaid.
This year, states are considering:
- Legislation on access-to-care issues including opening access to biosimilars (which are treatments that are very similar to an already approved biologic drug).
- Eliminating prescription specialty tiers that cause serious financial hardship for people with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
- Throughout 2015, there will be opportunities to work with decision makers. You don’t need to travel to Washington, D.C. to advocate for improved access to care. Help fight high out-of-pocket costs and restrictive health insurance policies at home!
By telling your story, federal, state and local decision-makers will be better informed about how their decisions impact you!
Join the network of thousands of grassroots advocates around the country who are creating positive change for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis at www.psoriasis.org/advocate.
To achieve the mission of finding a cure for psoriatic diseases, we need YOU and people like you who can help us educate and help others living with psoriasisand psoriatic arthritis