Psoriasis is an inflammatory disease. Many individuals benefit from following an anti-inflammatory diet to help reduce their symptoms.
Foods to avoid because they have been shown to cause or increase inflammation include:
- Fatty red meats
- Dairy products
- Processed foods
- Refined sugars
- Nightshade vegetables, including potatoes, tomatoes and peppers
Foods to include in your diet that have been shown to reduce inflammation include:
- Coldwater fish. Fish contains omega-3 fatty oils. Fish rich in omega-3s that has been shown to reduce inflammation include albacore tuna, mackerel, salmon, herring, and lake trout.
- Flaxseeds, olive oil, pumpkin seeds and walnuts. These are plant sources of omega-3s.
- Colorful fresh fruits and vegetables. Focus on eating foods from the colors of the rainbow.
Nutritious examples are:
- Squash and sweet potatoes
- Kale, and broccoli
- Strawberries and figs